Saturday, July 2, 2016

My Newport Mansion


After a lot of confusion with the bus schedule and some poor time management, the cohort finally made it on a bus to meet Ms. Cruzat at her hotel. As soon as we arrived to the hotel we headed out to catch another bus to Newport. Today we planned a trip to visit the Newport Mansions. The bus ride was very long, after over an hour of uncomfortable sleeping  and a stop at a Newport souvenir shop, we made it to our destination. We didn't have to walk a lot to see the huge Breakers Mansion, which was owned by Cornelius Vanderbilt II. The warm weather was much needed after the very chilly bus ride, we stayed in the front of the mansion for a bit to snap some pictures. After our small photoshoot we headed inside.

In the mansion we were provided with a set of headphones and a device which acted as our tour guide. To go into detail about the mansion would take hours so I'll just say it was beautiful. Throughout the tour I imagined it being my house. The house was huge, the tour didn't even cover the top two stories of the house and it was really amazing to imagine people actually living their lives in this house. The tour was very detailed and gave a great deal of history on the house. I really enjoyed everything about it.
By the time we all finished the tour we were starving, so we headed to a restaurant called Annie's. Our lunch was very delicious and with dessert I knew I ate enough to satisfy me for the rest of the day. It was already pretty late when we got out of lunch so instead of touring another mansion we had to head back to Providence. Again we had a very long way back and eventually we arrived at the mall in Providence. The cohort and I decided to meet up with some of our classmates who were already at the mall. This provided us again with another opportunity to familiarize ourselves with one another and I had a great time. The shopping trip was fun and I picked up a few items, I just wish I could have another chance to visit this great mall.


The view of the city from Providence Place.
After the mall we headed back to Brown on the bus. Lynda and I decided to hang out with some of the students from the Leadership Institute after we dropped our stuff off at our dorms. We played frisbee and soccer as well as mingled with the other students. We headed back inside before curfew and ended up playing a jelly bean game with some of our floor mates. This was really fun and a great way to end the long but fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment