Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Overall Experience

My freshman year I was introduced to the Ivy League Connection when Don came and gave the presentation at my school, and although that year I couldn't apply, I was prepared to keep my grades up to apply my sophomore year.

Sophomore year came around and so did Don's presentation, just like the year before, I was very excited to apply.

As months went by, I received no emails from Don for upcoming programs, so I was thinking there wasn't going to be any programs. But as always, Don always manages to come up with something, and then I started to receive emails to apply to different schools. I knew I wanted to wait and apply for the Women and Leadership because I had heard it was a great program and it was my dream to attend.

As it was time to start the application, two pre-essays and one school essay, I was scared I wasn't going to get chosen and for that reason I didn't want to apply. On the day the application was due, all my friends started asking me if I was going to apply, and I simply said no. They all said that I had to apply and that if I didn't get chosen to not be discouraged because there would always be plenty more opportunities. As I got home, I asked my sister whether or not I should apply, and she told me that it was a great opportunity and that it was totally worth it, so I started working on my essays and I turned them in, hoping for the best.
Group picture the day of the tutorial.
Meeting the girls for the first time
The awaited email with the students getting the interviews came in, and there was my name, I couldn't be happier. From that point on I had practice interviews with my friends to prepare for what was to come. When the interview day did come, I was happy because it was my opportunity to get the scholarship but nervous because I could do it all wrong and miss my chance. My interview was over and after that, I was anxious to find out whether I got in. They were going to choose four out of nine girls. As they called the names in alphabetical order, I kept on losing hope. Finally, I heard my name, I was third to be called and I couldn't be happier.

Then came the application process which was a bit confusing but I managed to get through it with the help of Don.

After the tutorial, and all the blogging started, this is where it all hit me that I was going to go to Brown. I was also scared but prepared for the workload ahead me.

Next was the first meet and greet dinner. It was very nice being able to meet all the girls in my group and  our first chaperone, Joanne Whitlock. It was also nice being able to eat the good food.
Taking pictures for the blogs.
After came the School Board presentation, as I awkwardly stood in front of a whole bunch of people to be presented as an Ivy League Scholar, I felt proud being up there.

The Ivy League Alumni dinner introduced me to great people that really prepared me for my upcoming trip. I was so happy to be able to talk to the alumni because they really made me feel more comfortable going to Brown.

As the Orientation came around, my family and I were introduced to the days I would be gone. At this point it all hit me that I had actually won that scholarship, and that I'd be leaving soon to start my classes at Brown. I was excited and nervous because it was going to be a whole new experience for me.
Alumni Dinner group photo.
Around the time of the dinner we got the news that Ms. Whitlock could no longer be our chaperone and that Ms. Cruzat was to take her place. So at this point, we had another meet and greet dinner to get to know our new chaperone better. Although we already met each other, it was nice being able to converse and get to know each other even more. We were also able to play really fun games that day.

Then, finally came the most anticipated day of this whole program, Departure Day. I couldn't be any more excited to go. I was prepared to go take the class and learn a whole lot more.

It was the first day of class and I loved it. As the days went by, I learned more and more about topics I hadn't explored before. I was very happy to have been exposed to such important topics in the world, which helped create my Action Plan, The Pronoun Project. I really hope this plan opens other people's eyes just like Brown opened mine.
Two wonderful people, my instructor on the left and RA on the right
Now that I am home, I am ready to implement my leadership skills, and try to make a change. Brown was a great experience for me and I hope other students get to experience what I was able to experience because it was honestly amazing.

I would really like to thank the ILC for the great opportunity they were able to provide me. It was a life changing experience I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. I don't want to contradict any of you when you've written such eloquent prose but I feel compelled to set the record straight: You didn't WIN anything, Lynda--you EARNED your scholarship. You showed the Selection Committee that you were qualified and then you showed the Interview Panelists, too. And if that wasn't enough, you proved your mettle to the Brown University Admissions Officers.

    Get it straight, Lynda--you earned everything you got.

    ReplyDelete