Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Bringing it to Boston

It was 2:30 AM and I was already feeling the knots in my stomach. I sat in the car parked in front of El Cerrito High School with my mother, waiting for the others to arrive and putting off the inevitable moment I would freeze. We were silent, both of us aware that these moments would be among the last ones we would share together. 


Eventually, the rest of the Brown and Cornell cohorts trickled onto campus. We had our luggage weighed, some photos taken, and were allowed to pack a few snacks Don had provided to eat later.
Our shuttle arrived at 4:00 AM and whisked us off to the San Francisco International Airport. There were many tearful goodbyes between students and parents, but a sense of excitement never ceased to permeate the air.
The Brown and Cornell cohort smiling at the camera before being shuttled away.

The flight was everything I had expected it to be. As I felt those previously mentioned knots beginning to tighten, I closed my eyes and slipped into a sedated state. It made the take-off much easier to endure and smoothed the transition into travel. The two strangers seated next to me kept to themselves the entire flight: they either slept, read, or briefly watched a program on the small monitor in front of them. I found the best way for me to pass the time was to try my best to sleep. Although I can recall no dreams, and I awoke on many occasions during the flight, before I knew it our descent into Boston was announced.

Unfortunately, it took us about four hours to arrive at our hotel. The line for car rentals had been unholy and the traffic in Boston was equally horrendous. I didn't relish hauling my luggage up stairs and into my room either, but I felt so much better once I was able to set everything down and sit on a bed for a few moments.

We were allowed to rest for half an hour before walking two blocks over to The Cheesecake Factory.  The weather was absolutely wonderful: the sun was out and the breeze was perfectly cool. As we meandered on, I found that I really enjoy the juxtaposition of the modern and older buildings in Boston. 
I noticed the sky was being reflected
during our walk to The Cheesecake Factory.

Everyone was exhausted, so chatter was minimal, but we were all able to savor our delicious, albeit giant, entrées. 

Tomorrow the girls and I will tour Wellesley and go sightseeing. Hopefully, everyone will be much more lively and ready to take on the day.





2 comments:

  1. So sorry for the struggles to get from the airport to your hotel. It's never easy but what you went through was unusual--cruel and unusual punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip Cami. I loved reading your blog. The detailed description of this first day made your story so vivid that I felt as if I were there with you. I can't wait to read more about your stay at Brown.
    Much Love,
    Mariella

    ReplyDelete